By Jair C. Soares, Samuel Gershon
Responding to the explosion of study at the pathophysiology and administration of bipolar sickness, this thoroughly revised moment version spans uncomplicated mechanisms, neuroimaging, viral etiology, neurofactors, present therapy implications, and smooth theories of the neurobiology of bipolar illness to face because the so much authoritative reference in this debilitating situation. Written and edited by means of across the world lauded specialists within the box, this resource covers an expansive array of issues together with genetic and causal elements, neuroendocrinology, neurotransmitters and sign transduction pathways, neuroimaging and neurorecognition, and clients for brand spanking new remedy improvement.
Read or Download Bipolar Disorders: Basic Mechanisms and Therapeutic Implications (Medical Psychiatry, 15) PDF
Best nonfiction_3 books
In an age of terrorism and securitized immigration, twin citizenship is of principal theoretical and modern political drawback. during this quantity, the members examine rules concerning twin citizenship throughout Europe. a large spectrum of case reviews are supplied; from the really restrictive German case to the extra tolerant Dutch case, to the Swedish case, during which twin citizenship is explicitly permitted.
The examine of the mapping type crew Mod(S) is a classical subject that's experiencing a renaissance. It lies on the juncture of geometry, topology, and team concept. This e-book explains as many vital theorems, examples, and strategies as attainable, speedy and without delay, whereas while giving complete info and conserving the textual content approximately self-contained.
- The Hidden Smile of God: The Fruit of Affliction in the Lives of John Bunyan, William Cowper, and David Brainerd (The Swans Are Not Silent, 2)
- Hassan Fathy: The man and his legacy
- Understanding Violence: Contexts and Portrayals
- Dresses and Decorations of the Middle Ages (v.2)
Extra info for Bipolar Disorders: Basic Mechanisms and Therapeutic Implications (Medical Psychiatry, 15)
Strakowski and Sax Secondary Mania 15 established criteria to differentiate secondary mania from primary (bipolar) mania and from delirium. Specifically, cases were only included if there was no previous history of affective illness and no confusional state associated with the manic symptoms. The age at onset of secondary mania in these patients was considerably older than the typical age at onset of primary bipolar illness. Moreover, unlike primary bipolar disorder, 9 of 10 subjects who provided family history data reported no family history of affective illness.
56] observed increased thalamic volume in bipolar as compared with healthy subjects.  did not observe this difference compared with matched controls subjects. The latter study may have been limited by relatively thick image slices (6 mm). Alternatively, the disagreement in findings may be related to differences in first- versus multiple-episode patients; perhaps thalamic enlargement occurs progressively in these patients. Without longitudinal studies of the thalamus, this remains uncertain.
8. Trivedi MH, Husain MM. Brain SPECT in mood disorders. In: Krishnan KRR, Doraiswamy PM, eds. Brain Imaging in Clinical Psychiatry. New York: Marcel Dekker, 1997, pp 237–266. 9. Krauthammer C, Klerman GL. Secondary mania: manic syndromes associated with antecedent physical illness or drugs. Arch Gen Psychiatry 30:74–79, 1978. 10. Cummings JL. Organic psychoses: delusional disorders and secondary mania. Psychiatr Clin North Am 9:293–311, 1986. 11. Stasiek C, Zetin M. Organic manic disorders. Psychosomatics 26:394–402, 1985.